According to a new survey, Bali is the top bucket list destination in the world.Getty
What's on your travel bucket list? If you're like most people, the more you travel, the more placesyou add toyour bucket list. So when the editors of the website Big 7 Travel announced the list of the world's top 50 bucket list destinations, we stopped in our tracks and started checking off the boxes.
The websitesurveyed its1.5 million-strong social audiencein order to determine the best bucket list places aroundthe world. According to Sarah Clayton-Lea, head of content with Big 7 Travel, this is the first timethe site has assembledthis list. "Bucket list travel was a trend that popped up again and again in previous surveys when asking our readers what sort of travel content they most enjoyed consuming," says Clayton-Lea. "So, our curiosity got the better of us and we wanted to know which destinations people are dreaming of for 2019/2020."
READ MORE: "Why You Should Skip Iceland And Go To These 9 Under-the-Radar Places"
Theresults of the world’s top 50 bucket list destinationsinclude some of the most beautiful places on earth. "White sandy beaches are still a must-visit for many, with vibrant cities also making an appearance on a lot of people’s bucket lists," says Clayton-Lea. Countries with naturally beautiful sceneryand world-famous landmarks came out on top: 22% of the destinations on the list have white sandy beaches, while52% are iconic cities.
The famously colorful Bo Kaap neighborhood in Cape Town, South Africa.Getty
In the study, Big 7 Travelfound that people were also more likely to add a destination to their list if they had seen it on social media,and33% of people researchvacation destinationson theirInstagramfeed."With over one-third of our readers saying they look to Instagram for travel inspiration, it makes sense that cities with colorful neighborhoods (such as Cape Town’s Bo Kaap) made the cut," says Clayton-Lea.
Balitopped the list of the 50 most popular bucket list destination on earth, but there were also some unexpected picks. "The top 10 list has a lot of the expected dream destinations, but there are a few surprises on the list: Paro Valley in Bhutan, for example, or Virunga National Park in the Congo," says Clayton-Lea. "I think this shows a great appetite for a need to get off the grid and can only assume that social media (and Netflix, in the case of Virunga!) is responsible for spreading the word of these amazing places."
Aninteresting factoid uncovered in the study:Most peoplehave an average bucket list of just11 places, withthe hope of visiting seven of thoselocations during their lifetime. No matter how many places are on your bucket list, this ranking will get you dreaming ofplaces near and far. Read on for the top 50 bucket listdestinations in the world and what Big 7 Travel had to say about each one.
Overlooking the jungle on one of Bali's highly Instagrammed swings.Getty
1. Bali, Indonesia:"You’ll find beaches, volcanoes, Komodo dragons and jungles sheltering elephants, orangutans and tigers. Basically, it’s paradise. It’s likely you’ve seen an image of Bali on social media at least once in the past seven days, as it’s such a popular bucket list destination for 2019."
2. New Orleans: "The lively city known for its street music, festive vibe and a melting pot of French, African andAmericancultures is well worth thetrip. NOLA is a city packed with adventures at every turn and should be on everyone’s must-visit list."
3. Kerry, Ireland:" All the way west in Ireland is one of the country’s most scenic counties. Kerry’s mountains, lakes and coasts are postcard-perfect, and that’s before you add in Killarney National Park. The unique small towns such as Dingle add to its charm."
El Badi Palace in the Marrakesh medina.Getty
4. Marrakesh, Morocco:"This ancient walled city is home to mosques, palaces and lush gardens. It’s known as The Red City thanks to the color of the brick walls surrounding the city.The medina is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre."
5. Sydney: "Sydney is known around the world as one of the greatest and most iconic cities on the planet. Amazing things to do aren’t hard to find; the city has gorgeous beaches, great cafes and world-class entertainment on offer wherever you look."
6. The Maldives: "This tropical nation in the Indian Ocean is made up of more than 1,000 coral islands. It’s home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotel resorts, with white sandy beaches, underwater villas and restaurants and bright blue waters."
7. Paris, France: "One of the most iconic cities in the world, Paris tops many people’s bucket lists. You’ll see so many famous landmarks here: the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame cathedral—the list is never-ending."
8. Cape Town, South Africa: "Cape Town is a dream location to visit: endless natural beauty and clifftop views, pastel pink neighborhoods and turquoise waters."
9. Dubai, U.A.E.: "The high-flying city of the U.A.E, Dubai is one of the most glamorous destinations you’ll ever visit, and is particularly popular with Big 7 Travel readers."
Sunset In Bora Bora, French Polynesia.Getty
10. Bora Bora, French Polynesia: "Bora Bora is Tahiti's most famous island. How do overwater bungalows and underwater adventures sound to you? To us, it’s everything we could want from a bucket list destination."
11. New York: "New York is one of America’s most exciting states. With charming upstate scenery, world-class cuisine and culture and more things to do than you could fit in one lifetime.The city’s five boroughs all have special features; it’s almost impossible to narrow it down"
12. Dubrovnik, Croatia: "As George Bernard Shaw once said, 'Those who seek paradise on Earth should come to Dubrovnik.' With its winding streets, cliffside beach bars and UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Old Town, it’s no wonder Dubrovnik is such a popular spot."
Carlton hill in Edinburgh, Scotland.Getty
13. Edinburgh, Scotland: "With the historic Edinburgh castle looming over the city, culture in spades and wonderfully friendly locals, this is one of the world’s greatest city breaks."
14. Rome, Italy: "Whether it’s your first time inRomeor your 50th, the best thing about this city is that you’ll always discover something new each time you stroll the scenic streets."
15. Paro Valley, Bhutan:Paro Valley isknown for its monasteries, fortresses (or dzongs) and dramatic landscapes. Tucked between China and India, Bhutan is a mysterious country that prides itself on sustainable tourism. You’ll find Paro Taktsang here, a Himalayan Buddhist sacred site."
At the Jal Mahal Palace at sunset in Jaipur, India.Getty
16. Jaipur, India: "Jaipur is known as the ‘Pink City’ for its pale terracotta buildings. This was originally done to impress the visiting Prince Albert during his 1876 tour of India by order of the Maharaja (Sawai Ram Singh). Even today, it’s illegal to paint buildings any other color."
17.Waikato,New Zealand:"Waikato, a region in New Zealand’s North Island, is home to massive underground caves, lush rainforest and the buzzy city of Hamilton. But the area’s main attraction? A Middle-earth adventure on the film set ofLord of the Rings. Hobbiton Movie Set still has the original Hobbit holes from the making of the films."
18. Havana, Cuba:"Cuba’s capital is almost 500 years old and a riot of color. Brightly painted buildings and vintage cars make Havana a photogenic dream."
A view of Tokyo Skytree and the city skyline from the Tobu Levant Hotel.Photo courtesy of Jonathan Bloom
19. Tokyo, Japan: "Visiting Tokyo is like visiting the future—flashing neon lights, incredible technology—yet there’s still a rich sense of culture and history."
20. Antarctica:"Earth’s southernmost continent, Antarctica is a once-in-a-lifetime destination. Nowhere else can compare with the extreme remoteness of this snowy place. It’s not an easy trip to make, but you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking views of the white wilderness, icy sea kayaking and whale sightings."
21. Vancouver, Canada: "Vancouver is surrounded by water yet close to the mountains and has world-class art, restaurants and heaps of other attractions to keep you entertained."
22. Los Angeles: "In a city with year-round sunshine, glam bars, beaches and hikes, there are endless incredible experiences to enjoy in Los Angeles. It’s no wonder there are almost 5O million ‘LA’ hashtags on Insta."
In Kruger National Park, South Africa.Getty
23. Kruger National Park, South Africa:"The Kruger National Park is a vast space in northeastern South Africa that is home to a huge array of wildlife. The park has safari experiences of all kinds, allowing you the opportunity to escape busy city living and get back to nature."
24. Santorini, Greece: "Santorini is actually a group of islands; Thíra, Thirassiá, Asproníssi, Palea and Nea Kaméni. Beaches with volcanic black or red sand and clear blue waters make this an ideal holiday spot. With its famous Santorini sunsets, it’s no wonder that it’s one of the most popular bucket list destinations."
25. Moscow, Russia: "Russia’scosmopolitan capital,Moscowis a beautiful destination to visit in any season. Colorful domes and bell chimes ring out from over 600 churches in the city, and the sense of history is immense. Culture lovers will be impressed with the museums and ballet."
26. Singapore: "Singaporeis a small island city-state off southern Malaysia which punches way above its weight on a global level. It’s a modern city with colorful buildings, futuristic bridges and a cloud forest."
London's Westminster Bridge.Getty
27. London, England: "Pretty pink restaurants, futuristic space-age toilets and jungle skyline views are just some of our favorite things about London. And of course, all the classics: Big Ben, red phone boxes and world-class museums and galleries."
28. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:"Rio de Janeirohas always been one of the most iconic cities in the world with instantly recognizable landscapes and landmarks."
29. Petra, Jordan: "The ancient Nabatean city of Petra in southern Jordan is surrounded by beautiful red rocks and steep gorges. The world wonder is without a doubt Jordan’s most valuable treasure and greatest tourist attraction."
30. Hong Kong:"Famous for its skylines and vibrant food scene, what most peopledon’tknow is that 70% of Hong Kong is mountains and lush parks. Colorful playgrounds and sci-fi apartment blocks give HK an enviable edge."
Beach and sea waves shot from above in Barbados.Getty
31. Barbabos: "Barbados is one of those magical holiday destinations that everybody dreams about visiting. Whowouldn’tput this on their bucket list? Nestled in the south of the Caribbean, it offers stunning beauty and wonderful local culture and is the perfect place to unwind."
32. Amsterdam: "Forget about cliched images of smoke shops and gaudy red lights. From floating flower markets to bohemian neighborhoods, this city has it all."
33. Santiago, Chile: "Santiago is a cosmopolitan city with the very best of Chilean culture; art galleries, design shops and handicraft markets, as well as lively Latino nightlife. You’ll stroll through historic neighborhoods with pretty winding streets and charming bars and cafes."
34. Cairo, Egypt: "Cairo is one of the most ancient cities in the world. Sitting on the Nile river with wonderful museums, vibrant culture and friendly locals, it makes for a great holiday."
Biking in Copenhagen.Getty
35. Copenhagen, Denmark: "Copenhagen’s rustic fishing ports, modern graffiti and winding red brick streets are just some of what makes it such a beautiful bucket list destination. It oozes Scandi cool from every corner, withtop-notch food, stylish design and an always hip atmosphere."
36. Seoul, Korea: "Seoul is a vibrant metropolis where old-meets-new, with pop culture (K-Pop!) alongside Buddhist temples.
37. Laucala Island Resort, Fiji:"Laucala Island Resort is a private island in Fiji, in absolute paradise. It is one of three small islands off the northeast coast of Taveuni in Fiji. There are coconut trees, a sustainable farm and miles of beach, as well as coral reefs, postcard-perfect beaches and lush rainforest."
38.Providencia, Colombia: "The Colombian island of Providencia is the perfect combination of South America and the Caribbean. It’s best known for Crab Cay: an unspoiled little island where all there is to do is snorkel and lie on the beach."
Photographing Machu Picchu, Peru.Getty
39.Machu Picchu, Peru: "The best way to get here? Arrive at Machu Picchu in style on the 360° Train that will bring you through the Peruvian countryside to the lost city. The wide, panoramic windows are perfect for soaking up the view, plus they serve Pisco Sours on board."
40.Virunga National Park,Democratic Republic of Congo: "Virunga National Park is one of the most biologically diverse areas on the planet and home to the world’s critically endangered mountain gorillas. It’s full of lush rainforest and has received even more attention since the documentaryVirunga."
41.Lisbon, Portugal: "Lisbon, the hilly capital of Portugal, is postcard-perfect with its cobbled streets, pristine waters and local Atlantic beaches."
42.Hanoi, Vietnam: "Hanoi—the capital ofVietnam—is known for its rich history, busy street life and centuries of French, Asian and Chinese influences all blended into one bustling city. It’s a wonderful base from which to explore the North ofVietnam,including Halong Bay andSapa,while also enjoying the comforts of a modern vibrant city."
A view of Honolulu's Magic Island And Waikiki Beach.Getty
43.Hawaii: "From the hustle and bustle of Oahu to the romance of Maui and off-the-beaten-path adventures on Lanai and Molokai. The Hawaiian Islands are pure paradise. Explore colorful canyons and waterfalls and eat your body weight in fresh poke."
44.Ibiza, Spain: "While you’ll have your fair share of techno club experiences, Ibiza is also one of the most beautiful Spanish islands, with a pretty Old Town and scenic beaches. Spend the day on the beach and the nights in legendary clubs."
45.Beijing, China: "Beijing is China’s political, economic, and cultural center, with six Unesco World Heritage Sites in this city alone. Discover Forbidden City, street food dishes of Peking duck and of course, the Great Wall of China."
46.Budapest, Hungary: "The capital city of Hungary,Budapestis a fairytale city in Eastern Europe. The city itself is separated by the19th-century Chain Bridge that connects the hilly Buda district with flat Pest—hence the name Budapest."
Photographing Vernazza in Cinque Terre.Getty
47.Cinque Terre, Italy: "Is there anything prettier than this area of centuries-old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline? The five towns (Manarola, Riomaggiore, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare) are madefor bucket lists."
48. Buenos Aires, Argentina: "Bookstores set in palatial theatres,tango dancing in the streets and brightly painted neighborhoods. These are just some of what makes Buenos Aires so beautiful."
49.Las Vegas: "With the bright lights, party atmosphere and endless things to see and do, it’s no wonder that Las Vegas has become a glittering global tourism destination. Take a chance in the casinos until the early hours or see world-class entertainment."
50:Matterhorn, Switzerland: "TheMatterhorn is one of the world’s most iconic peaks—the pyramid-shaped mountain, which is very difficult to climb, is said to be the most-photographed mountain in the world."
•"Ranked: The 20 Most Dangerous Places to Live"
•"Bucket List Travel: The Top 50 Places In The World"
•"Why You Should Skip Iceland And Go To These 9 Under-the-Radar Places"
•"23 Surprising Things That Will Get You In Trouble In Italy"
• "Bucket List Travel: Top 10 Places In The World And Top 29 In The U.S."